- This event has passed.
The Discovery School of Science and Wizardry
July 30 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Discover the MAGIC of science!
FAQs and Info for Sunday’s Discovery School of Science and Wizardry event:
There will be events and special activities happening throughout the day from 10am until 4pm. To ensure a full experience, we recommend arriving no later than 1:30/2:00pm. You should be able to experience a full set of activities in around three hours, and that is a typical Museum visit length, in our experience – you are welcome to stay longer.
Admission will be $15 for adults and $13 for children under 18 on this special event day – children 2 and under are free, members receive a significant discount: paying $6 per person for this special event. Come dressed as your favorite wizarding character and receive $1 off admission.
On this special event day, you will begin by scheduling certain activities for the children in your group. Upon arrival, you will be sent to sorting and registration where our certified O.W.L. Schedulers will help you plan your day.
Certain activities do have a maximum capacity, and the number of show times are limited. Wizarding Students may choose up to 4 of the following classes:
* Herbology (make and take home a “Pea in the Pod” mini greenhouse planter)
* Astronomy (Experience the cosmos & mythology in the Henry B. duPont III Planetarium)
* Orb of Science (See out-of-this-world science animated on a giant sphere – and some Earth science too!)
* Care of Mythical Creatures (Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo Cryptozoology presentation featuring live animals)
* Empirical Illusions with Chris Lengyel Magic
* Wand Making (hack a tea light to make a light-up wand)
* Peculiar Potions – $3 extra paid upon admission – make galaxy slime, time in a bottle, and see a live science demonstration up close in our Wonder Workshop
The following activities are open to ALL and do not need to be pre-scheduled at Sorting and Registration:
* Science is Magic live magical science demonstrations with Michelle the Marvelous-Magificent
* The Dragon Walk – all day, suitable for all ages
* QUADditch Drone Races (exhibition) – 1:30pm & 4:00pm
* The Permitted Forest – all day games and prizes suitable for all ages
* The Invisibility Cloak – all day – photo experience suitable for all ages
* Not So Restricted Section (Friends of the Bridgeport Public Library)- all day –Books and monster bookmark making – Suitable for all ages
* Seeker Training – All Day – Try to stay on your broom while completing the obstacle course and make it to the snitch!
Suggested age 7+, with parental supervision. Course can be done by younger ones WITHOUT a broom and WITH parental assistance.
* ALL Lab activities are available to ALL wizarding students, but to earn a diploma, students MUST at least complete their own Lab activity.
* Hexagon alley is open all day with fun wizarding trinkets at the Museum’s shoppe, AND Goodfellas Pizzeria and UCBC Trumbull offering food and beverages throughout the day!
All day you can experience all that Discovery Museum has to offer through a new lens as you visit 3 floors of hands-on exhibits (with a wizarding twist)! Thank you also to our media sponsor WSHU Public Radio for helping us spread the word, and for providing the atmospheric soundtrack for our Orb of Science gallery!
Email info[at]discoverymuseum.org with questions, or just send via owl. We hope to see you for a fantastically good time on July 30th.
Want a preview of what’s in store for July 30th? Check out this special edition of Discovery Museum’s DIY Science Lab offers a sneak peek – join Sarah, Michelle, and two guest scientists as we look at potions for testing pH