Parties with unique hands-on activities are tons of fun!
Discovery Birthday Parties feature themed adventures, take-home fun, and hands-on excitement, our birthday parties are always a blast! Parties are available for toddlers to teens. Discover hands-on, age-appropriate science fun for the most memorable birthday ever.
Parties can be customized, and food/balloon/party packages are available. Museum members enjoy special discounts!
Please contact our Guest Services and Birthday Party Administrator, Madelyn Gerrity for more information about hosting your party at the Discovery Museum! You can reach her at (203) 372-3521 ext. 136 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discovery Museum is currently hiring Birthday Party Hosts. Visit our Staff page for more information.
Click on a blue bar below to explore our parties by age/grade.
Fun for everyone! Enjoy music, ball pit, instruments, and coloring for older children!
Your young paleontologist will really “dig” this party. Learn about prehistoric beasts, have a mini dinosaur dig and make your very own dinosaur to take home!
Aim for the stars in this out-of-this-world party. Join us for special crafts and activities all about stars before enjoying a planetarium show just for you!
This party is perfect for little ones who love nature. You and your guests will read a book and learn a song all about plants as well as take decorate a pot to take home with seeds to plant!
If your little one loves the ocean, this is the party for you. We’ll explore parts of a fish, read Rainbow Fish, and make a fish-inspired craft for your guests to take home!
You are sure to make an “impression” on your guests at this dinosaur party. Discover the different types of fossils, how fossils are created and make your very own! This party is a must for all dinosaur enthusiasts.
Explore outer space as a galactic voyager! We’ll have special space crafts and activities, as well as a private planetarium show just for you and your guests to enjoy.
Your budding gardener will love this party! You and your guests will learn and read a book about plants, as well as decorate small clay pots with seeds to take home.
Great for ocean lovers! We’ll do an interactive reading of A House for Hermit Crab where your little one and guests will decorate their own shells…just like the book! You’re sure to have a great time while learning about life in the ocean!
Up, up and away! Your young explorer will love making their very own rocket — a pop and fizz rocket, that is– and launching them. This party is sure to be a blast!
We guarantee that your guests will have a slime-filled time! Join us in the lab, and become a junior chemist. Each guest will create different types of slime.
Super Heroes Unite!!:
It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a… super kid! This party is a must if your child is looking to save the day! The birthday child and your guests will design and decorate their very own super hero cape before going to one of our hands-on galleries for agility and strength training. While you might not be able to run faster than a speeding bullet, your child will feel really super after this party.
Explore the planets in the Milky Way and learn what makes each planet so amazing. Make and take home a special star craft and enjoy a special planetarium show for you and your guests.
You and your guests will love learning about the science of skincare. You’ll have the chance to make your own set of spa products and take home the recipes to enjoy over and over again.
Have you ever wondered why people look to the stars and how telescopes work? Well, you’re in luck! Here you’ll construct a telescope to take home and watch a private showing of Two Small Pieces of Glass in our Planetarium.
Mission to the Moon:
Fly a simulated mission to the moon in our newly-renovated Challenger Learning Center! You and your guests will be transported to the year 2040 and experience what it’s like to work in a mission control orbiting Earth and on our spacecraft which will, if our mission is successful, land on the moon. Come embark on an adventure unlike any other where failure is not an option! (Note: mission is a 4-hour party. All children must be 10 & up. )
- Movie and Action Party: Private movie screening (any film of your choosing!) in our Auditorium with popcorn for guests, plus a private viewing our of Don’t Try This At Home! science demonstration.
- Celestial Exploration: See a private Planetarium show followed by a telescope viewing (weather permitting), along with a private exploration tour of The Discovery Museum with a guide.
Sleepovers at The Discovery Museum!
Join us for a night of fun and science learning! Open to any group of 20 or more kids with parents or chaperones. Visitors will enjoy a Planetarium show, science lab, and movie.
Pizza dinner and continental breakfast included.
Minimum 20 children, Minimum Fee $940
Please contact Sarah Tropp at (203) 372-3521 x114 for more information.
Rent a Space at Discovery
Looking for something all your own? You can create a party that fits your needs using one of our classrooms or Dining Court. Make your party extra special and add a private digital planetarium show or live science demonstration!
(NOTE: Rentals last 3 hours, which includes setup and cleanup of area. Rooms are available for a longer duration on an hourly basis. Groups of 10 or more will not be permitted into public planetarium shows and need to arrange for a private showing.)
Food packages are available and can be added to any party for a specific number of guests and may include:
- Juice boxes or spring water
- Customized sheet cake
- Balloon bouquet
*Custom cakes, party platters, goodie bags, and balloon options are also available.
Discovery Museum Party Policies
- Must be booked at least 2 (two) weeks in advance and may be booked up to 6 (six) months in advance.
- Party times: Saturday and Sunday beginning 11AM-2PM
- Night at the Museum parties begin at 5PM, Friday or Saturday
The Museum provides:
- Expert party instructor
- Private party room (room assignment not guaranteed). Parties with 26+ children will enjoy a larger birthday party space in our Atrium Dining Court. Parties of fewer than 26 children may upgrade to the Atrium Dining Court for an additional $75.
- Paper goods (plates, forks, napkins, tablecloths) are provided on request 2 (two) weeks in advance
- Take home project with children’s parties
- Party guests my explore the Museum for the remainder of the day
- Refreshments are available for purchase through our party packages, please call (203) 372-3521 x130 for details
- Decorations (table top only, please), cake if applicable
- NO piñatas or sparkler candles
- Fees due and payable upon booking party
- Reservations will not be held without full payment and receipt of signed Birthday Party Agreement
- All parties are non-refundable
- Additional fee of $50 may be applied for changes to party time, date, or theme
- Additional guests and incurred fees must be booked and are due at least 2 (two) weeks prior to party, subject to availability